All reports are pointing towards the likelihood that Shaquille O’Neal will become a Boston Celtic for the 2010/11 NBA season. This is the move that should have come to fruition since the very beginning. Let’s count the reasons:
- He will be joining a contender;
- He will aptly fill the role of the injured Kendrick Perkins;
- He can attempt to rebuild a early/mid-2000s All-Star team, alongside the newly signed Jermaine O’Neal and the Big Three. They just need to sign Starbury, AI and T-Mac now;
- There was no realistic reason that he should chase money in Europe — he’s got plenty;
- It continues Shaq’s USA-wide tour where he attempts to play with every contending team in the league before he retires (I still think that he should do a season full of 10-day contracts to fill out the resume a little more); and
- Most importantly, he can take on perhaps the greatest nickname of his moniker-laden career: The Big Bean Bag of Beantown.
Now, I’m pretty pleased with the nickname I’ve just come up with. What do you think? If you’ve got something better, hit us up in the comments.